Category: Blog

Informal Binge Learning: Strength or Weakness?

A few years ago I interviewed for a job.  The interviewer asked me what I would consider my weakness.  I answered with the correct answer for me even though it may not have been politically correct.  My weakness is that when researching an issue or a project, I sometimes do not know when to stop… Read more »

Learning Options Part Three: Unique Learning Options

Unique Learning Options As we have seen with parts one and two of our learning options series, in-person options are the main menu item you might order at a restaurant while online learning is one of those large side dishes that could be eaten as a meal on its own or shared.  If unique learning… Read more »

Learning Options Part Two: Online Options

Going back to thinking of learning options available as ordering from a menu in a restaurant as we did in part one, if we think of in-person learning as the entrée, online learning options are like an extra-large side dish that could almost be eaten as a meal by itself. Not so long ago, online… Read more »

Learning Options Part One: In-Person Options

Choosing the type of learning option you need is like ordering from a menu at a restaurant.  You usually find one or two items you want and maybe ones you want to try in the future. Often, there are so many items on the menu that you are not quite prepared when the server asks… Read more »

What is Your Learning Style?

Are there certain learning opportunities that make you more excited than others?  Does the term webinar cause you to shut down your computer because you cannot be involved in another one-sided topic discussion?  Or does the term podcast immediately conjure up the need to view a PowerPoint presentation?  All of us have our preferences in… Read more »

Letter to Younger Learning Self

With graduation season almost here, the commencement speeches will begin to flow and words of wisdom about future selves will be shared.  Here is my reflection to my younger self on how learning experiences starts to fit together. Dear Younger Self, You know you need to learn concepts, reasoning, and skills, but sometimes it seems… Read more »

Your Personal Learning Investment

As a country on the whole, we are not good savers.  According to a recent Time magazine article, only 59% of Americans feel they can retire somewhat or very comfortable, the other 41% are unsure of their retirement future.  Even though we know we should be saving for our future, we don’t.  The same comes… Read more »

Continuous Learning: Skill and Sport

An executive manager told me that he does not hire anyone who does not display the desire to continue to learn new things and stay up-to-date on what’s current.  He was head of the IT Department and said neither his employees nor the business could survive in the rapidly changing economic environment without learning this… Read more »

How Do You Want to Learn Today?

Professionals who want to add new learning experiences have more options than ever that do not necessarily mean going back to college. In the past, learning something new often meant following the formal education process of an undergraduate degree and for some, a graduate degree. While this option is still ideal for some, there are… Read more »

How a Rock Star Made Me Think About To-Do Lists Differently

To-do lists, whether professional, personal, or some combination are often the guides of our day. During our busy work days, we often have long to-do lists that may take us in a direction that is the right one at the moment, but end up disappointing us because something else we may view as more substantial… Read more »